MIRANDA – Technical Center
TYPICAL CHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF HIGH SPEED STEELS
QUALITATIVE COMPARISON OF MAJOR STEEL PROPERTIES
GUIDELINES FOR SELECTION OF TOOLGRADE FOR VARIOUS APPLICATIONS
- General purpose Tool for machining Mild Steel for various operations like Turning, Shaping, Slotting etc.
S100 & S400E (M35):
- Has excellent toughness and wear resistance properties. Ideal for general purpose machining using conventional speeds & feeds.
- Most suitable grade for machining S.S. and Brass.
- Has higher toughness than S400 & S500 grades and excellent wear resistance properties. Ideal for applications where toughness as well as wear resistance properties are needed. i.e. shaping, planner operation.
S400 & S500 (T42):
- Has excellent red hardness properties and hence can be used at high speeds. This can withstand high temperatures. Ideal for use in modern workshops for heavy turning, parting and threading operations. Recommended for continuous production work and on automats